Senior Vice President for Health Sciences Education Unit
26 S. 2000 E., EHSEB 5515
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-5750
Phone: (801) 585-6283
As the spread of SARS-COV2 continues in high transmission, physical distance requirements necessitate prioritization of educational activities across University of Utah Health. While in all transmission levels, physical distancing requirements result in decreased classroom capacity (i.e. 150-person classroom set with 6’ distance between desks and 10’ between educator and first row can only seat 38). Facial coverings are required inside all U of U Health buildings.
Vaccination status does not change these priorities nor distancing and masking requirements.
Due to space limitations, rooms will be allocated based on priority and safety room capacity.
The priority scale for in-person activities within U of U Health academic spaces is below:
- Student/learner activities that CANNOT be done WITHOUT in-person contact (e.g. physical exam skills teaching/practice/feedback)
- Student/learner activities that require a cohort coming together for community building (i.e. – 1st year students) or to provide the students with an enhanced experience, compared to what is available online
- Non-student/learner activities that CANNOT be done WITHOUT in-person contact (e.g. physical exam skills teaching/practice/feedback for employees)
- Other desired activities (meetings, grand rounds, etc.) in extenuating circumstances
- Close proximity of individuals in classrooms (even for clinical skills practice) must be minimized
- Faculty/organizers must maintain a seating roster to ensure the ability for contract tracing
- All participants must wear facial coverings at all times or they will be asked to leave
- If individuals will be within 6 feet of one another, all must wear eye protection in addition to a surgical mask – and limit time that they are within 6 feet of one another Consumption of food is discouraged. If food is consumed, it must come in individual containers. No buffet services. It is imperative that all maintain 6 feet physical distance.
- All beverages must be in containers with lids.
- Groups may meet outside, maintain 6 feet physical distancing, masks/facial coverings are highly recommended
Reviewed and Approved – Health Sciences Education Executive Council
Approved – Associate Vice President for Health Sciences Education, March 2021